There was a rise in beef-sired calf births registered in Northern Eire throughout 2022, based on the Livestock and Meat Commissions’ (LMC’s) latest evaluation of Animal and Public Well being Info System (APHIS) info.
This improve, the LMC stated, represents a reverse within the pattern of declining beef calf births within the Northern Irish beef sector all through the second half of the final decade.
Final 12 months, 377,654 beef-sired calf births had been registered on Northern Eire farms, which is 6,999 greater than 2021.
When in comparison with 2012, ten years in the past, it’s a 14.2% improve.
What’s constant between the years 2012 and 2022 nevertheless, is the preferred breed in the case of sires.
In each years, the identical six breeds accounted for over 90% of beef-sired calves. These are: Aberdeen Angus, Belgian Blue, Charolais, Hereford, Limousin and Simmental.
The most well-liked breed for beef siring in 2022 was Aberdeen Angus, which elevated by 3% on 2021 ranges, adopted by Limousin and Charolais.
Total, Aberdeen Angus was the commonest breed of calves registered – each beef and dairy – in Northern Eire final 12 months, accounting for 18.6%. The LMC expects that this reputation will proceed in 2023.
Beef-sired calves accounted for 69.5% of all calf births in Northern Eire in 2022, with the remaining 30.5% being dairy.
Dairy calf births
Throughout 2022, the preferred breed for dairy calves was Friesian, accounting for 49% of complete dairy calf births final 12 months.
Nevertheless, whereas the preferred breed, it might be declining in reputation; in 2021, the Friesian breed accounted for 51% of complete dairy calf births, and 62% in 2012.
Holstein stays the second most typical dairy breed with Holstein calf registrations totalling 66,184 in 2022, up on 54,901 in 2012.
The variety of dairy male calves has declined over the past decade, with 44,779 registered in 2022 and 90,462 registered in 2012 – a decline of over 50%.
This, the LMC stated, displays advances within the business.