Lameness is an ongoing difficulty on many dairy farms. Regardless of management measures, circumstances will nonetheless happen.
It’s a lot later within the 12 months than regular, however cows are lastly exterior full-time – which suggests their strolling distance has elevated.
Lameness can have a detrimental impact on dairy-cow efficiency and can also be an animal welfare difficulty.
In contrast to a suckler cow, a dairy cow typically does a big quantity of strolling/day, so guaranteeing that hoof well being is sweet needs to be a precedence for farmers.
You will need to be proactive; cows which can be lame needs to be recognized and handled promptly.
Some easy measures that farmers can take to assist stop or cut back lameness points are:
- Enhance the standard of roadway surfaces;
- Have clear yards and passageways;
- Enable cows sufficient time to stroll from the paddock to the yard, that means no shoving or pushing cows;
- Hold a distance of 5m behind the herd when they’re strolling;
- Keep away from overcrowding in gathering yards;
- When housed, guarantee an sufficient variety of cubicles and feed areas can be found;
- Footbathe frequently if there’s a want to take action;
- Full common mobility-score checks;
- Deal with lame cows promptly.
Detecting and treating circumstances earlier than they change into medical is the most effective defence towards lameness.
Locomotion or mobility scoring is one of the simplest ways to detect these subclinical circumstances of lameness.
As soon as a cow is clearly exhibiting indicators of lameness the problem is usually fairly extreme and remedy/restoration will take longer.
So by detecting circumstances early you possibly can cut back the restoration time and any ache or discomfort that the cow is perhaps in.
As we transfer into the breeding season, circumstances of lameness are usually not one thing that farmers will need to see.
Lame cows typically battle to go in calf as a result of they’re much less prone to be seen in oestrus; if they’re seen in warmth it’s prone to be much less intense and final for a shorter time frame.
Previous to the beginning of breeding, any cows which can be exhibiting indicators of lameness needs to be assessed.
Attaining replica targets on farms is tough sufficient with out lameness points inflicting additional issues.